WOW!!!!!!!!

Post your comments on Carving Magazine articles here.

Moderators: Joe_Dillett, Terry, hi ho sliver, donpbk, cwhillock, Nancy Goff

WOW!!!!!!!!

Postby bremmers » Fri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

WOW....I like the new look, it is fantastic.......Have not had any time to look around but it looks great.

WAY TO GO.......

Gene
bremmers

Re: WOW!!!!!!!!

Postby Iowa Carver » Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 pm

I like it too. Wish there were more participation here.

Corey
Iowa Carver

Postby tvance124 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:51 pm

The jury is still out for me on the new design.

Will the "Posts since last visit" button show back up? I liked that feature a lot. Saves time. Also, how do you tell if there are any new posts on a topic?
God Bless You,
Terry

John 3:17

http://www.picturetrail.com/terryvance
tvance124

Postby bremmers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Terry

I don't have any answers for you I guess. I just noticed that it was a really nice bright and clean looking page. Guess I didn't look at it from the standpoint of the questions you are asking.

I just see on the left side of the page, if you run the cursor over there, it says No New Posts or something like that. I assume when there is a new post it will say something else or flash or blink or something.

Good points though, maybe someone will give us more info.

God Bless also

Gene
bremmers

Postby tvance124 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Hey Gene,

I found some answers after looking around some.

I do like it.

I found the new posts button, but still haven't looked around enough to see how to tell if there is a new post in any area.

I'll keep working with it until I figure it out.

I will be wondering if pictures will be any easier to post...........
God Bless You,
Terry

tvance124

Postby bremmers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Terry

Yes, I just looked a bit also. I think one of the things that I noticed was on the left side of the page. Opening page that is where all the forum topics are listed is the words as follows:

* View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics

I think there if you click on (View New posts) I am thinking that will show the new posts since you last checked in. Don't know if that is the case or not, but I guess we will find out.

Will do a little checking out how the pictures post and see if it is any different than it was. When I posted the pictures, I had them shown on Picturetrail so I used the URL....Will see if you can post them directly.

Gene
bremmers

Postby Claude » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Ok - here's a test of uploading a photo. This is the max size permitted on the other list. (780W x 568H)
---
That didn't work - the file is 184KB and I got an error message that says max size is 30KB. We'll see how big that is when I edit the photo.
HMMMMMM...when I edit in Photoshop CS, the smallest file I can get is around 90KB. I just tried with iPhoto, and had to constrain it to 260 pixels x 190 - system reports it as 32KB now, so we'll see what I get.

It didn't tell me the file was too large, but when I clicked Preview, I see nothing.
Now for clicking submit...

<edit> Well, that didn't work either...I went back and reduced the photo to 250 pixels by 180 - my system says that is only 29,232 bytes, 32KB is 32,768. I'll try to upload again.
Mp error messages. Preview worked this time. Now for submit. </edit>

<edit2> Worked. Seems the photos need to be quite small (or else, maybe, limited to only 256 colors - which I don't think I can control with my photo editing apps). Chris: if you're reading this stuff, I think 32KB is way too small to show any detail on a submitted photo. The larger photo below is one I submitted earlier, and is the maximum size permitted on the other list. Personally, I think it shows the details of a carving much better, and I'd like you to reconsider the size limitations. This one is 780W x 568H (580 is actual max height) and is 184KB. </edit2>

<edit3> Sorry, Chris - forgot to mention: Thanks for giving us the ability to post actual photos instead of links to another web site! Now <whine, whine> can you please give us a larger limit :wink: </edit3>
Claude
Attachments
DSCF0661f.jpg
DSCF0661f.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
Last edited by Claude on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Claude

Postby bremmers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 pm

OK, I see you working on it with your pictures also. I just found a picture I had that was 29KB and added it and it works!!!! Yippee.......

For anyone else that wants to play. Under message window....It says ADD ATTACHMENT (I THINK) click on that and you will see Browse tab, click that and find your picture, click on picture and open. It will place your info in window. Click (Place Inline) and then if you Preview you should see it. Then submit to get it to the list.

Kind of fun playing with it. It does work....But looks like pictures need to be under 30KB.....

Gene

2nd place fish.jpg
2nd place fish.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 6162 times
bremmers

Postby bremmers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Claude

OK, I think we have it.....

Gene
bremmers

Postby Claude » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Looks like it, Gene. Now, I have to figure out how to make my photos take up less room and still be large enough to see...

Claude
Claude

Postby bremmers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Think it will take a little playing with it Claude.....If a person takes the picture and Macro's it, it will probably be good. At least it is working and keep playing with it and see what you come up with.

Gene
bremmers

Postby Claude » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm

This seems to be about the largest i make that is under 30K. Measures 900W x 675H and is 28,662 Bytes.

Ok - preview works...

Chris: ignore my earlier rant - I just need to cut the quality way down when I save...

Claude
Attachments
DSCF0231e.jpg
DSCF0231e.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
Claude

Postby hi ho sliver » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 am

BOW WOW!!!!

LOL I guess I am getting old and crotchety! I don't care for the new look! its hard to see for me........maybe if the date was emboldened, darkened, enlarged or something it would help, I look at the dates of the entries so I don't have to go into all the threads, just the ones I missed! 8)
"lifs lik a box o' chocolats, ya neva no whut yull git!" www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap
hi ho sliver

Postby tvance124 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 am

Can someone tell me why on some of the threads the lines in the circle to the left apears to be scrolling and some have a red star in them. Does not add any value that I can see and it is distracting. Just wondering. Like the fact that pictures can be added without having to put in all that url business. Just have to figure out the sizing. All the pictures I looked at today are different sizes. WOW. Maybe we can figure it all out.

HiHo..I use the button that says "new posts" and I assume it is since I last visited.
God Bless You,
Terry

tvance124

Postby bremmers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Terry

I am not sure about the scrolling of the lines, however, I looked under the FAQ's and it appears the Red Star is an indication of a bookmark. I am guessing it is ones that you have checked out (read) and somehow they are showing as bookmarks like when you save bookmarks in a web browser. If you want to get rid of them, got to the USER CONTROL PANEL at top of page and you can check them and delete the bookmarks.

I am probably not answering your question very good, but I am just searching through things like everyone else.

Gene
bremmers

Next

Return to Carving Magazine